Written by Denise Harvey
To be honest with you, before I became a Naturopath, I thought that detoxes were for people who drank a lot of alcohol and they had to be completed at health retreats.
So when I thought of Detox Programs, I thought of a man in his 50’s, overweight, big beer belly, who sat on the couch and drank lots of beer. His weekends consisted of more TV watching and beer with a BBQ or two thrown in. Or I thought of a woman who was out every night partying with her friends.
I’ve come a long way from those first thoughts of Detox Programs and now know that they are beneficial for many people for a number of reasons.
First, let’s get rid of some of the myths around detox:
Myth 1: Detox is only for heavy drinkers.
Wrong. Detox can be good for anyone. While drinkers would benefit, there are plenty of other people that can and do benefit:
– The 25-year female, who has a pretty healthy diet, exercises 3-4 times a week, has noticed that her digestion is not quite right and she feels tired all the time.
– Or the 30-year-old male, who has a stressful job and has noticed that the past year, he got more coughs and colds than usual.
– The 20-year-old female who has a history of allergies and has decided that she is sick of feeling horrible and wants to get it sorted this year.
– The 33-year-old female who has been trying to lose weight and even though she is eating well and exercising the fat just doesn’t seem to want to budge.
– The couple who have recently gotten married who have decided that they want to start trying for a baby later in the year.
As you can see it’s not only the heavy drinker that would benefit.
Myth 2: Doing a Detox means I will have severe withdrawals.
I’m not going to lie about this one, some people experience headaches and feel a little off in the first few days of a detox. As their body copes with the removal of sugar or alcohol etc. This doesn’t happen to everyone and a proper Detox Program helps the body through this phase to minimise the discomfort.
Myth 3: Doing a Detox means I will have to starve myself
With the popularity of such diets as the Lemon Detox Diet it can be assumed that in order to Detox, you have to drink some weird concoction and starve yourself for a month.
With a complete Detox, this is not so. You get to eat real, yummy nutritious foods and take supplements that help support the body through the detoxification process.
Myth 4: Whilst doing the Detox I will feel horrible therefore I have to put it off because I can’t go to work and Detox at the same time
This is also a myth. You can still go to work and carry about your everyday activities as normal. You might feel slightly tired and a little bit grumpy for the first few days. However, after that people have reported feeling that their digestion has improved, they are sleeping better, their skin has cleared up and best of all they have more energy.
Myth 5: My liver is designed for Detox so why do I need to do a Detox?
The body does have a comprehensive Detoxification system yet it can be put under strain with bad food choices, increased alcohol intake plus the daily contact of chemicals in our food, the air, the water we drink, the chemicals on our furniture and in our household products. Plus some of us also smoke, take pharmaceuticals and use chemical-laden cosmetics and personal care products.
Myth 6: I don’t need to lose weight so why would I do a Detox?
Doing a detox is not about losing weight. It sometimes can be a consequence because as the body functions better, weight loss can occur. However, the primary aim of a Detox is not to lose weight. It is to ensure that the body is functioning in its optimal state of digestion, immunity and energy production. Any number of the following symptoms or conditions can be helped with a Detox:
– Muscle Aches and Pains
– Recurrent infections or inflammatory conditions
– Inability to lose fat
– Menstrual disorders
– Adverse reactions or sensitivity to environmental chemicals, odours, and/or nutritional supplements
– Digestive Disorders
– Chronic Fatigue and lethargy
– Depression, anxiety and/or mood swings
– Skin disorders eg. acne, eczema, psoriasis
– Poor short-term memory and concentration
If any of these sound familiar to you then I encourage you to try a Detox that is supervised by a naturopath or nutritionist. How amazing would you feel if your digestion, immunity, and skin were improved and you had more energy and slept better?
Denise’s clinic is at 5/88 Mountain St, Ultimo. Book online at www.inspiredhealthbydee.com or call 0401 366 796.